Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Carver of the Month: Doug Linker (A.K.A. @dougoutside)

Who are you?

My name is Doug Linker  I am married to Sophie, the father to 5 kids and a Grandpa twice over.  I am a carpenter by trade and have been working as my church caretaker for the past 20 years. I am an avid outdoors-man who loves hiking, canoeing, fishing, and hunting with a great sense of adventure.

What do you mainly carve?

I mainly like to carve and make things that make people smile. If you have seen my Instagram page, or my YouTube channel you would  know I enjoy carving  folk art creations like moving toys, or caricatures, to Santa’s, to bearded hillbillies, to a pig that sits on your fridge and everything in between, and I always add a touch of whimsy.

Where are you from?

I was born and raised in a small town in southern Ontario, Canada and still live within a few kilometers of where I was born and raised. 


When did you start carving?

I started to dabble in carving about 4 years ago now. In the beginning I would carve off and on, but have done more in the last couple of years.

Why did you start carving?  What was your inspiration?

I started carving after randomly catching a video of Gene Messer on you tube. My first small men were carved with a full sized bush-craft knife.

                                                     

Where do you like to carve?

I like to carve outside when I can but have recently set up a carving room inside for the winter months. I do like the flat plane carving techniques the best albeit I don’t always abide by those rules and mix it up most of the time. You can often find me carving with a hot cup of coffee close by.






17 comments:

  1. I would really like to be able to to email or chat with Doug. I am a new carver and find his videos very inspirational and informational. I tell my friends that Doug is my mentor. Doug I really enjoy your videos and you have taught much. As I said earlier I am a beginner carver but your videos have taught me much. Please teach me more. I am very eager to learn more. Thank you very much. Bob Feldman Lake View NY USA. rfel498026@verizon.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same as above comment. I saw Doug on u-tube last fall. Would love to contact him. What a great low cost hobby. It’s fun turning a piece of wood into a smile for someone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. woodcarving is a great hobby and Doug's videos give me lots of inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fifth gen furniture maker / woodworker (avocation for me) I needed to carve a shell and ball & claw feet for a queen anne low boy I was making. After struggling through it I became more interested in carving and I carved some Christmas ornaments for my kids and some friends. I looked around on you tube and found Doug's wonderful instructional videos. His approach is excellent. If he were to put up a "Donation" link I am sure many would make a modest contribution. I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonjour
    J'écris ce petit mot pour Doug depuis Toulouse en France.
    J'ai vu une vidéo et depuis je cherche le '´basswood'´
    Doug est un poète qui donne une jolie vie au bois et j'essaye de faire pareil.
    Les petits films sont super et fait vibrer mon âme d'enfant.
    Merci Doug !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonjour JC. Basswood = tilleuil. Je suia à Angers. Dispo @ thistle3583@gmail.com

      Delete
  6. What tools are a must for beginners?I enjoy your spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you considered making your 4" small men into Chess Men?? Or even better yet developing a whole Chess Set of men?? Thanks for your videos, they have finally gotten me carving.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are many good wood carvers but none as entertaining and informative as Doug. His You Tube videos are a great way for a beginner to learn the basics and make some fun characters.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Doug, or anyone else who knows,

    What is the "antique" solution you apply to your carvings after you paint them (and then wipe the majority off)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The brand is "FolkArt" it's an antiquing medium. The bottle says plaid 819. Hobby lobby or micheals with the acrylic paints. There's also antiquing medium same brand in nutmeg or cocoa bean

      Delete
  10. If anyone knows what the "antique" solution is, I can be reached at this email. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  11. Enjoyed watching your youtube. Ojib/Cree from BC, learnt westcoast totems. 61..youve inspired me start again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. P.s. your small knives looked very similiar ti westcoast carvers straight knives. I will use mine for general carving. Also should encourage people check out knife making...youtube...makenown styles.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have only just started watching your channel on YouTube and I am hooked. I've never carved before but seeing these videos i want to get started. Thanks for the inspiration Doug. Keep your videos coming.

    ReplyDelete
  14. In carving the Irish Man, you use a unique carving knife in the eye detail. I cannot read the brand name but would very much like to purchase this knife. Where can it be purchased? Thanks KK5USA

    ReplyDelete

Who are you?   My name is Blake Lunsford and I am married to Rachel, and father to Haley who is 13 years old.  I am a Supervisor for th...